Thursday 31 March 2016

TOP FIVE: Favourite Films of All Time.

As one of my first posts I felt like it would be necessary to do a couple "Top Five" posts to give a sense of what I like and what sort of things I will be posting, so I thought I'd start with my 'Top Five Favourite Films of All Time."

(IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, that's just too difficult.)




1. Pretty Woman (Garry Marshall, 1990)

Pretty Woman has to be my all time favourite 'typical girly film', and I'm not particularly a massive fan of chick flicks or rom-coms, but this is definitely an exception. I watched it for the first time when I was pretty young, and got fairly obsessed with it, then last year I studied it in AS Film and really got to know the film inside and out. It is definitely a very predictable storyline, but Julia Roberts and Richard Gere really play the parts perfectly, and provide audiences with romance, comedy and a pleasant viewing experience. The whole lacking of independence and reliance on men theme does bug me slightly, but despite this it's just a great film, especially if you're looking for a typical cliche filled girly film without cringing at today's romcom cinema.



2. Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly2001)

I remember in my early teens I used to see gifs of this on Tumblr alllll the time, and one day I decided I needed to watch it, and when I did I'm pretty sure I ended up watching it multiple times the same week. I absolutely fell in love with it, which was strange at the time because I had never really been into 'indie' films. The peculiar storyline, dark themes and soundtrack all intrigued me and stole my attention away; I ended up googling the meanings behind the story line, downloading the soundtrack and watching youtube videos to explain the film to me, I was hooked. The film was also a shared interest between myself and my boyfriend when we first met, being one of his favourite films too it created so much more interest in the film and resulted in me watching it an unbelievable amount of times since discovering it a few years ago.





3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Jim Sharman, 1975)

Watching this film for the first time as a young child I remember thinking how strange it was, and it wasn't until I was in my teens that I actually began to appreciate how fantastic it actually is. If I could see any movie in an actual theatre, it would definitely be this one, because on screen it's definitely a one of a kind film, so to see it live would more than likely be unbelievable. The acting, mise en scene, and soundtrack absolutely make the film, and I couldn't think of any ways in which they could be improved. Tim Curry played an absolutely incredible Frank-N-Furter, a part that I could never believed would be played by him until I saw it. Curry, Sarandon and Bostwick played the lead roles like you wouldn't believe and they definitely made the film so spectacularly unique that it made it into my all time favourites.



4. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

Another film that I first watched at a young age and absolutely loved, this has to be my all time favourite horror film. From being a child my dad introduced me to various different horror films, varying from Hammer Horror to Stephen King, and this just so happens to be one that I loved more than the others. I read multiple King books throughout my teens, Carrie being my favourite, but the film, neither the original or the multiple remakes, really did it for me, but The Shining is a film I could watch hundreds of times over. This was my first time seeing Nicholson on screen too, and he was what really sold the film to me; Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Jack Torrance was perfection, creating such suspense and was definitely Oscar worthy in my opinion.


5. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

I absolutely adore Tarantino, so this film being in my top five is no surprise to most, but I just had to put it in this list because of how many times I've seen it, and still continue to watch it. The multitude of fantastic actors, the film making and mise en scene make the film so much more watchable, as the storyline alone could be seen as not particularly enigmatic. Nonetheless, I still love the film, and the viewing experience is almost unique, as a film like this is so hard to find, with action, humour and sophisticated performances from all the cast.



No comments:

Post a Comment